Ammunition - Primers and Initiators
Alternatives to Conventional Primers
2020 has shown reloading components, notably primers, can become difficult to find. I've done a few experiments with alternatives to commercial primers.
- Only requires nitrocellulose propellant. No shock-sensitive explosives.
- Simple operation - can be fired with a 20v battery and switch.
- Plastic cartridges should be corrosion resistant.
- No brass drawing tools or dies required
- Nichrome is readily available in vape shops
- Lock Time is 10x slower than a conventional primer.
- Requires power/batteries
- Requires insulative (plastic) cartridge cases.
- New loading procedure
- Must be made by hand
Direct Ignition with Plasma
My experience with this approach is limited, but it's been demonstrated to work.